In most cases, a disaster will bring out the best in your community. You’ll commonly find people willing to give their time and energy to help you get back on your feet.
Unfortunately, not everyone has good intentions. One of the main groups to watch out for is the storm chaser. A roofing storm chaser is someone who goes from town to town after a big storm in hopes of getting business from people who have been affected by inclement weather.
It’s important to note that not every roofing storm chaser is a scammer, but they do warrant a higher degree of vigilance than your local contractor.
Tips to Stay Safe
A severe storm has already impacted you; there’s no reason to be harmed by a roofing storm chaser.
Here’s how you can stay alert:
- Be wary of door-to-door contractors.
- Many municipalities require a permit for salespeople to go door-to-door. Check the salesperson’s vehicle for a business name and a local license plate. It’s not illegal to ask for identification, either.
- Hold onto your insurance check.
- You always want to pay your contractor directly, following an invoice. If your town has experienced a severe hailstorm and you got work done on your roof, the last thing you want to do is hand over your hail insurance claim to your contractor.
- Do your research.
- Before hiring just anyone, take some time to look them up online. Get both business and personal references to ensure that you’re working with an upstanding, quality company.
- Don’t be tempted by a good deal.
- Many roofing storm chasers’ tactic is to offer a “deal you can’t refuse” that won’t last unless you agree to it on the spot. You should never feel pressured into contracting work or make a hasty decision on something as important as your home’s roof.
- Contact your insurance company.
- To get all the information you need regarding the policy coverage and filing requirements, get in touch with your insurance company. They might also have highly regarded contractors to recommend as well.
Be Smart, Be Vigilant
In the aftermath of a storm, you should be able to depend on those you can trust. At Roof Evolution, we are your local roofing experts with over 25 years of experience. After a storm, contact us and avoid the sneaky storm chaser.
Don’t hesitate to contact us for more information about company or service